Monday, August 27, 2012

Wrong

Today I had a moment.  One of those 'I'm going to cry' moments.  Sure I could tell you it was over an issue of world peace or grave illness; famine or drug related crime ... but it wasn't any of that.  It was over this building.  A beautiful heritage listed Launceston building.  Built in the 1920s.  This morning I felt so sad because the 'developer' has now replaced those beautiful wooden windows and doors on the upper levels.  Replaced them with ugly modern aluminium frames.  Apparent improvements?!?

So today I had another moment. I checked the heritage register ... clear as a bell ... 143-149 St John Street- permanently registered. So for the first time ever I took action. I rang the council and logged a complaint. I spoke with Heritage Tasmania.  They were wonderful. Because you know what ... it's a crime against Heritage Architecture ... and I feel so sad people thinking they can get around it by applying for planning permission 'retrospectively' and hoping it will slip through.  Other complaints had already been received.  The more they get, the more pressure there will be for this to rectified, I guess. They had already spoken with him.  Now I hope that he is made to replace those frames (that may not happen).

So that was my moment.
Just had to get it out... because I'm really pissed off.  I care about this stuff. This is our local history. That aesthetics are part of what gives our community its unique flavour.  We've got enough aluminium in the rest of our commercial buildings ... leave these ones alone! This property was purchased knowing it was part of the heritage register.  That comes with responsibilities.  If that's not your thing ... then don't buy it.

Soap box away.

13 comments:

Mrs Smith said...

Good work Burns. I'm right behind you,

Mrs Smith said...

Good work Burns. I'm right behind you,

Paravent said...

Good on you! So wonderful that you did that and others have too. I'm old enough to remember (just) all the heritage architecture that disappeared overnight here during the Joh Bjelke-Petersen days! ...(and if I can venture a political opinion, it looks like we're returning to those days here again!) We need to be vigilant. I think there is so much apathy out there that needs to be stirred. Kx

Tas said...

I went to school in Launceston so am trying to picture the building.

Keep your soap box out. The world (and buildings like this) need people on soapboxes.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Well done !!
A lot of lovely county towns had their hearts ripped out by developers in the '60s , leaving hideous concrete functional blocks and draughty walk-ways in their place .
Fifty years later and the developers have decided to move on to building hideous concrete out-of-town Shopping Centres instead .... leaving town centers windswept and empty .
Where next ?

Recycled Relix said...

Good on you Gemma! I am watching with interest the building we used to be in - it is also Heritage Registered and was bought with that clearly identified. There is a lot of work to be done on it and I understand the developer will do the right thing - so lets hope so!

Fer said...

You go girl!! Aluminium windows are a crime against humanity, they really are....

Allana said...

Good on you!

chrisartist said...

It's hard to believe people could do this!
Well spotted and lets hope something will be done to rectify this. Il go take a look tomorrow!
Chris

Nettie's Blog said...

well done ...i agree...i can appreciate the heritage and the modern but dont combine them...leave them in their own era's...

Isis said...

good on you gem! i happen to know that 'the developer' (who is currently a regular customer of ours - eep!) absolutely gutted the place and did not salvage ANY of the original fixtures/fittings/whatchamacallits. all in the skip. i nearly cried. i wonder how much of that he was supposed to keep?

ally said...

Yay for you
It' can be scary to speak up but so important

Anonymous said...

I've always found the Heritage Tasmania folks in Launceston really helpful. Not like some other government departments. Thanks for speaking out about this, we need more people like you.