Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A man needs a cave ...

We got invited to a second birthday dinosaur extravaganza on the weekend. I had been storing up this idea for a while ... and thus couldn't believe my luck on the birthday theme... reason and motivation and last minute panic are good crafting catalysts around these parts ... so I brushed the dust off the sewing machine ... oiled the hinges on the stash cupboard and got making 'The Dinosaur Cave avec Dinosaur'. I'd never made a zippered pouch before ... I've only ever sewed two zips ... but hey? did I say last minute panic is a good carriage for focusing a wandering mind? The cave appeared from a bit of thrifted cord, some 'stolen' green velvet (thanks Annie). The mouth of the cave need some green moss (ric rac ... OK work with me here people). Instead of making it a flat pouch, after I sewed in the zip, then the two side seams, I folded the bottom seam the opposite way to form a pyramid ... um? like a sunny boy icy pole.


But what's a cave without a dinosaur? This is my take on a Tyrranosaurus Rex. Let's call him Cyril. He lives in the cave. With his vintage fabric side he can easily hide in the foliage to chomp unexpected passers by.
... and I guess he could turn this way if he wanted to blend in at a quilters convention or a night at Brown Owls.

6 comments:

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Cyril is a triumph ! But , judging by his red-eyed dotted side , he needs "taking in hand" .
You'll have to make a him a nice , sensible lady dinosaur friend who'll sober him up and feed him salad .

Fer said...

With a name like Cyril it's going to be a win win situation!

CurlyPops said...

Awww that is the cutest little dinosaur and cave ever! A triumph of crafty engineering.

Isis said...

awesome :D

red bamboo said...

Wow... that velvet just keeps going and going....

Black Eyed Susie said...

I didn't realise he was called Cyril. He is well loved and has many little friends living in his cave now to so rest assured he's happy. And he hasn't drunkenly embarassed himself as yet.