Monday, November 24, 2008

Broken Wing

An eventful weekend... my little girl had a topple ... it was one of those 'I only turned my back for a moment' moments. Dunc saw her fall in slow motion. I was upstairs. A few tears then business as usual bustling around. But each time she steadied herself with her hands she had a little whimper - then her new morning word came 'sore' as she pointed to her wrist - so we thought it best to get it checked out. At emergency we thought we may be just overzealous parents .. Edie is working the room, smiles all 'round, waves. But the x-rays said otherwise - green stick fracture, three weeks in a cast. Dunc welled up - father's guilt - there will be days like this - a lifetime of wanting to coat her in cotton wool - save her from the disappointments and falls - broken wings do heal, parents' hearts just get bigger.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor baby!! But she looks happy now, and no matter how hard we try, we can't protect our children from everything. Accidents happen, and you did absolutely all the right parenting things!!!

D said...

nooooooooooooooo!

Cass said...

She looks pretty happy so probably no lasting effects. My oldest daughter fell off an out chair when she was about 2 and split her head and needed stitches and my youngest fell down our stairs when she was about 1, accidents happen and they recover but we still feel guilty

Black Eyed Susie said...

She looks quite proud of her bandage! Things are bound to happen. We've had big falls that I'm sure are going to mean broken things but so far all OK.

Every single time I take Chloe to the doctor she perks up and starts smiling at everyone. I'm sure they really don't beleive me when I tell them the symptoms.

red bamboo said...

Sorry to hear about Edie's 'topple'. I am sure she has bounced back wonderfully and will continue to try and make it up to your hidden attic!

cherie said...

i hope the baby will be alright soon! she's cute!

Anonymous said...

when i first read broken wing, i thought it was muriel, but poor bub!!! and mum, and dad!!

looks like that cast could do with some serious texta action! there's a craft activity for the kids!
take care

Fiona said...

Oh Gemma, I feel your pain. These tough little girls just seem to take it all in there stride. She looks very proud of her cast. Ruby also learnt to say sore from her little accident, funny things.

Ellie said...

A plaster cast is a rite of passage Edie is just an early achiever and has got hers out of the road. I was a late bloomer and got my first plaster cast when I was 20.

tam said...

Awww poor little angel! I hope she recovers without a hitch in quick order! She sure looks darling showing off her cast with a big smile!
~Tam :D