Saturday, November 29, 2008

Niche Market

Today I have been at Niche Market and I will be there tomorrow. It is a fundraiser for St Giles a wonderful organisation that helps Tasmanian kids with disabilities. There is some really wonderful goods there - 20% of all sales go to St Giles - retail therapy with a conscience, my friends - win win. To name but a few - there's Franrosie with beautiful handbags, purses and other leather delights (we did a cheeky swap - dress for new fancy wallet, I am so very excited!), The Purple Finch's scrumptious softies are there, the divine and delectable work of Tara Badcock Paris, Rebecca Roth's resin jewellery, beautiful origami and printing from Hideyo and Joanna Pinckiewicz handprinted joy ... and those cupcakes from Mrs G - I'm buying rocky road tomorrow ...it's going to get ugly, ug-er-ly. - and that's not even everyone!

Loz and Dinny have some new dresses ... I've been doing apocolyptic sewing ... dressmaking like there's no tomorrow - but it was a busy day so my stall is looking a little deflated. But I did manage to get a few of the red 'Blythe' dresses done. (the grey fabric I ordered for them didn't arrive in time - but that may have actually been a blessing as I really don't think the little sweat shop could have gone any faster). Why 'Blythe'? - Loz used to sew this dress for my little sister Blythe back in the dark and distant late 70s. Loz had kept the pattern and has passed it onto me. Vintage goodwill.

I will take some more photos tomorrow ...but here is a peek (I cannot vouch for quality - my vision is blurry from late night sewing) I meant to take photos of other stalls but I left my short-term memory somewhere and cannot locate it. There's this little number...the bumblebee-esque
and the red and grey 'Blythe' dress in repose with tricyle... there is red and pink colourway too but no photo. I tried to enhance this image to improve it's quality ...something tells me I should stick to sewing...
but here is the beautiful tricycle stamp Duncan made for me which is part of pocket detail- came up a treat.
Come to the market ...you know you want to...

5 comments:

CurlyPops said...

I wish I was in Tassie so I could come and check out the market!

Anonymous said...

Hope the Market went well. I've had a day at home today, well after a walk in the rain!! Love your trike stamp: I had a tricycle when I was little, with a trailer thing under the seat so you could carry things. I had forgotten that till just now!! Mine was red.

Jen said...

So cute! Do you make dresses for adults too?

Fiona said...

Hey Gemma,
I came to the market, unfortunatley a day to late. Yes that is right I decided I would come and have a bit of a look on sunday morning. Was really surprised when it looked so quite, there was another family looking walking towards the School as well. As we approached we saw the sign and I realised it was friday, saturday not sunday. BUGGER !!!

Claire (ethel loves fred) said...

Hope it went well. I'm loving your colour combos with the dresses, very nice!