Saturday, August 15, 2009

Staying


I used to move around alot. Then I met Duncan and we moved around alot together. In the 15 years since I moved out of my folks place I have lived in 20 different houses ... not counting the transient stops in between. The houses have been in 4 different Australian States, 4 different countries, 2 different hemispheres- 9 different cities (5 capital, 4 regional), 3 country towns, countless inner city suburbs. For the three years before Edie came, Dunc and I lived with not much more than could fit into two backpacks and a couple of packing boxes. We worked to travel. We collected stories and delicious memories; insights and inspiration; we wrote a duologue that we speak in quiet moments together when we can whisper 'do you remember when..?'

Our life is now 'when we stayed' rather than 'when we went'. It is a new experience for me, for us.... but we are living the life that we once only whispered to each other in quiet moments ... 'can you imagine if we had our own wonky house and a vegie patch and a family and got to stay'.

Here is delicious. Here is beyond our expectations of what it would feel like to stay put for a wee while. We have fallen into a tiny corner of the world where we feel connected and safe. Where we feel energised and brimming with ideas. A small piece of a community. For those of you who know what it feels like to move and feel comfort in change and the transient ... you must know how surprising this realisation is ...

Our house is filled with tiny momentos of moments past and for the first time I can pass them and feel happy to be in THIS moment ... and not somewhere else ... for now.

16 comments:

Fran said...

That's beautiful. How wonderful that you feel that way right now and can feel it and acknowledge it.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Yes , there comes a moment when you need to get to know a place , make friends and spread out . Sounds as though you've found a good one . And now you're filling it with very desirable treasures !

Isis said...

i hear you! i have a very similar story, many many house moves... so many that i have learned to only own what we can fit in the kombi or be able to give it away/leave it behind at the drop of a hat. i'm doing my bit for Gen Y, too, i'm now up to my 20th job and i'm only 24 (and bored of the current one). i'm probably still in that period of life where you were a while back, still transient. but there is something about this place that is so settling. we came to launceston on holidays and decided to stay within 2hrs of being here. and it doesn't scare me that we'll be here at least 4yrs. that is a first

what is it about this place? i'm glad you feel that way, too, and are loving it! good for you

x isis

Black Eyed Susie said...

I realised the other day that I've lived in Launnie longer than anywhere since I was 12. This is the 3rd house here but we'll be here for a long while we think. I do think a big, exciting holiday may be required soon though!

CurlyPops said...

It's so lovely to be able to find a place that actually feels like home.
I constantly moved around until I was about 22, and I longed to find a place just for me, where I didn't have to pack up and move again.
Fingers crossed that this is it!

Tania said...

There you go again - making packing up and migrating to your corner of the world sound like a mere walk in the park! Gorgeous post, Mrs. I got goose bumps.

Fer said...

Great post. I can understand why, of all places, you'd choose Tasmania. I've moved around a bit (nowhere near as much as you!) but I'm here for good - I couldn't live anywhere else. Tasmania is too special.

Mrs Smith said...

Us Smith's are very pleased that you are here Mrs B. I hope for now means most of for ever.

Rachael said...

What a lovely post. So pleased that you have found your little corner of the world. x

Anonymous said...

Growing up, I only moved a few times. Since my marriage, I've moved a lot. They have all been good moves in their own way, but I have to say that I am happy to be settled where I am for now. Beautiful blog!

Charity Grace said...

Growing up, I only moved a few times. Since my marriage, I've moved a lot. They have all been good moves in their own way, but I have to say that I am happy to be settled where I am for now. Beautiful blog!

Selina said...

Great post...thanks for sharing

Kylie said...

So very beautiful. I know exactly what you mean, even though I've settled somewhere I'm not entirely happy with... It's just so nice to be settled and have a space of your own to nestle into :) K

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

What a wonderful post. I love the way you articulated the emotional shift that's taken place.

Kate Moore said...

I moved a lot before I met my partner, who already had children. Staying can sometimes be hard, but with the kids almost grown, I feel there will be some more moving to come.

gemma @ loz and dinny said...

Hi Katie - yep - I think once you have moving in your blood it just becomes something you feel you have to do from time to time ... stating is a nice challenge, though!