Saturday, August 20, 2011

For Myself

Today I completed a project. Completing anything in particular is always a bit of a 'Hurrah' moment round these parts but this project was a veritable 'You little Beauty' moment. I sewed. I sewed MYSELF something. And it WORKED. Tight Ass Table Spotlight fabric + Simplicity pattern 2209 = A little 50s inspired frock action. I finished just as I heard the boys stirring from their midday nap ... so here is the ' just quickly pop it on over my current outfit' photo shoot. So over the jeans it went. The pose, that wasn't my blue steel ... the sun was in my eyes and the chickens in my bloody spring bulbs.Clearly I am on some kind of roll or is it mission? because last week I made something else. I conjured up this skirt from this pattern and then hung it on my newly blossoming quince tree in some sort of effort to look all arty, photography-like. Let's call it a fail - please go lurk on a photography blog if you are artisitcally offended, but by this time I had one of the boys on my hip, so another outfit change was a serious NO GO SISTA! Before I started, I took all my measurenments and it said I was a size 18 ... but by the amount I had to run it in the back ... I'd say I was a 12-14.A little jaunty? Nothing like a wardrobe that contains nothing it seems bar black and a budget that is far from being in the black, to act as a little motivation. As I got sewing I also got thinking. I realised that the last time I sewed myself something I was 24. I was working overseas. I sewed on a borrowed machine on the tiled floor of the condo I lived in in Singapore (we didn't have much furniture). I didn't use a pattern I just cut around a dress I liked at the time and sewed up some side seams and made it up. It was very, um, grungy... and I thought I looked HOT. Only took me a little under a decade and a half to have another go at it. AT this rate I'll have an entire wardobe by the time my one year olds graduate from high school. Ace!

7 comments:

Fer said...

I think it looks quite good over the jeans, in a sort of retro/modern way. :-)

I rarely trust the measurements on patterns, if I'm not sure I'll often lay the pattern pieces over a similar item of clothing to check.

Tania said...

YOU LITTLE RIPPER! As soon as it was explained to me that I would need to study the art of the FBA (Full Bust Adjustment), I gave up on sewing for self. I ain't ready. The FBA is scary. But I have my arms up in victory for you, clever chook.

Mrs Smith said...

H.O.T!

CurlyPops said...

Oh so cute! I'm off to check out the pattern.... except I might get scared off by a FBA too.

Tanya Murray said...

How funny reading through the comments...I was looking at the pattern and thinking this might be good for a full bust person. I also have the black wardrobe but I have had so many sewing for myself fails that I have almost given up. Being a size 10-12 in the hips, size 14-16 in the waist and size 18-20 in the top...yep, I am an insane pyramid. I have very nice ankles but that's not a lot to work with.

Isis said...

very cute, and love the skirt!

Black Eyed Susie said...

I think that's the very dress pattern I've been thinking about getting. Looks great! I also have the Spotlight bargain table fabric hanging out waiting. Great minds think alike obviously!