Sunday, July 4, 2010

Back on the Crafty Wagon

I haven't touched my sewing machine for months. Maybe even since before Christmas. No urge. But since Arlo and Tavish burst onto our family scene there have been strange rumblings from deep within ... small whispers in a dusty part of the brain where one stores one's ideas ... and despite limited sojourns into REM sleep patterns ... it seems these whispers have become shouts. So when we got a ticket to the hottest par-tay in town ... it was time to make some room on the kitchen table and start cutting. I was even able to focus through 'chinese water torture-like' questioning of the small 'what are you doing?' 'why?' 'what colour do you like?' 'why?' 'what are you doing?' 'why?'(repeat x infintiy and beyond...you get the picture).
Inspiration started at the vintage fabric detail of the man in the basket ... I thought my minarets where very middle eastern in appearance - but the architecture student said they may lean more toward the iron curtain. Doesn't he know ric rac is so persian?? I mean what else did the Murghal empire edge their carpets with? Now to giveth the gift and eat cake for lunch ... I love a first birthday.

8 comments:

CurlyPops said...

Enjoy the birthday cake!

Unknown said...

I love the man in his basket. What a great material...and hey ric rac is so definately persian. I guess the architecture student has ben looking in the wrong books!

christine said...

I love the middle eastern theme and i'm totally into personalising stuff - how cool is that bag!
Well done on answering that crafty call. You are one super-mummy!

Fer said...

That's so groovy. I'm sure young Arj will love it!

Black Eyed Susie said...

Arj does love it! And so does his Mummy. Very, very impressed that you managed to produce such a beautiful handmade gift at such a busy time. I've almost finished Arlo and Tavish's gifts! Soon. Soon.

Tania said...

I've popped by a couple of times over the weekend when I saw you at the top of my blog list but haven't been able to pry my eyes open with matchsticks long enough to comment my bewilderment. WHAT ARE YOU? A MUM TO THREE, PARTNER TO ONE, BLOGGY, CRAFTY SUPERWOMAN? SHOULDN'T YOU BE SLEEPING?

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Piffle to architect sudent . Just wave your hand airily and mention the Ottoman Empire . It was so huge , you're bound to be right !

And I'm as agog as Tania . If you can do this on the odd catnap , I'd like to see you at full blast !

Rachael said...

Well done! I dream of sewing but that's about it!